D.J DIAL-A-CLEAN OFFERS A FULL HYGIENE AND MATTRESS PROTECTION SERVICE House dust mites are microscopic bugs that primarily live on dead skin cells regularly shed from humans and their animal pets.
Dust mites are generally harmless to most people. They don't carry diseases, but they can cause allergic reactions in asthmatics and others who are allergic to their faeces.
Skin cells and scales, commonly called dander, are often concentrated in lounging areas, mattresses, frequently used furniture and associated carpeted areas, often harbour large numbers of these microscopic mites. Since the average human sloughs off 1/3 ounce (10 grams) of dead skin a week, it gives dust mites a lot to eat. Cats and dogs create far more dander for dust mites to eat.
Did you know?
- A typical mattress can contain tens of thousands of dust mites.
- Nearly 100,000 mites can live in one square yard of carpet.
- A single dust mite produces about 20 waste droppings each day, each containing a protein to which many people are allergic.
- The proteins in that combination of faeces and shed skin are what cause allergic reactions in humans. Depending on the person and exposure, reactions can range from itchy eyes to asthma attacks.
- Unlike other types of mites, house dust mites are not parasites, since they only eat dead tissue.
- However, not to worry as regular cleaning and treatment can eradicate this.
Feel free to contact us for any questions and we will be happy to give free no obligation quotes and advice.